Tuesday 12 March 2013

What to wear for dinner with Princesses?

DH tells me I need a frock for a garden party and another for a dinner with some Princesses - both on the same day.  So today I spend most of the day shopping ... started at Faizaliah Mall found a lovely Missonni beach dress - no good for either events so I didn't buy it!

Next stop Harvey Nichols - strange thing about shopping in HN Riyadh is the number of male assistants and shortage of Ladies to help - they really need me on the shop floor as a personal shopper - the lady who carried my dresses to the changing rooms ( what a treat to actually try things on - v rare in Riyadh to have changing rooms!) dragged them across the dusty floor - not a good look for a dress that is £1k now covered in dust, sand and grime! No water cooler no nice furniture all a bit sad really - HN call me I will come and sort it out!!

I'm digressing... tried on 4 lovely dresses

1st one Alice by Temperley lovely cream column dress with tulle overlay so pretty but too big


 - they sent the tailor to come and advise but I think it would have ruined the line of the dress so that sadly was a no... but have  a look at it here it was gorgeous... (photos courtesy of Temperley website and it is also available at Harvey Nichols Riyadh)

Next up was a Laundry by Shelli Segal Black silk jersey one shouldered dress - lovely but as my friend said - it is just like the one you have at home but not as nice ( also by Laundry and much loved and worn!)

ONWARDS....

Another 'nothing' dress came next which made me feel very middle-aged and frumpy ( not the look I was after!) and then the best one

A beautiful ISSA London floor length Black silk jersey dress with cutout back - I can't find it anywhere online but it was mostly black with the same insert at the chest as this one Very classic cool gown
(Photo courtesy of Issa London website)

It was fab-u-lous perfect for meeting Princesses and Duchesses. It was a tad too big ( and they only had the one size) but it was over 7000 Saudi Riyals which is more than £1100 .  Do I really need to spend that much cash on a dress...

NO

We'd done Harvey Nics by now so did all the other shops in the Mall with no success, onto our Pilates Class and then 2 more Malls (in between prayer times!). Still no new dresses so it looks like I will be wearing my old Black Laundry dress for the dinner and a Vintage Chiffon flowery frock for the garden party...photos of the outfits will follow!

Moral of the tale - don't try to buy a last minute outfit in Riyadh!!

Any hints on shopping in Riyadh greatly received!!

No comments:

Post a Comment